CareFirst to Commit $2 Million for Maternal and Child Health Initiatives
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield (CareFirst), the region’s largest health insurer, plans to award up to $2 million over the next two years to programs seeking to improve birth outcomes and lower infant mortality rates (IMRs) in Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia.
Although infant mortality rates in CareFirst’s service region have dropped to historic lows, the average number of infant deaths continues to outpace the national average of 5.9 deaths per 1,000 births, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
In response, CareFirst has issued a request for proposals (RFP) from community health centers, nonprofit organizations and public health programs focused on initiatives that address factors to improve birth outcomes and reduce infant mortality, including:
- safe sleep habits;
- smoking and substance use cessation;
- prenatal care;
- spacing between pregnancies;
- socioeconomic and racial equality;
- treatment of maternal mental health; and,
- maternal obesity prevention.
Proposals must be completed using the online application and submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Wed., Jan. 16, 2019. Ideal proposals will improve infant health among minority and underserved populations, be easily expanded or replicated in other communities, address at least one of the identified contributing factors to infant health and provide a plan for sustainability beyond the period of CareFirst’s funding. Collaborative programs are encouraged.
View the recorded pre-application webinar from Tuesday, Dec. 18 by selecting the video below.
View the PowerPoint presentation
Note: If you're viewing in an older version of Internet Explorer, select the option "continue without upgrading" to view the video.
- All applications must be submitted online via the Grant Application.
- Please complete the CareFirst Work Plan and Guidance Template and include it as an attachment with your online application.
- Please attach a program budget and budget justification to your application. View budget example
- Applications can be saved and completed at a later date by accessing the Resume Application.
- Once you've completed the application, click the Submit button. You will receive an electronic acknowledgement of our receipt.