Apply For a Grant
In accordance with our mission, CareFirst funds/supports programs that improve the access and affordability of health care, improve health care quality and safety, and support health and wellness initiatives.
Apply for Funding
The organizations must:
- Be located in our , which comprises the Charleston, WV area, Maryland, Northern Virginia (east of Rt. 123) and the District of Columbia;
- Address CareFirst's community outreach mission;
- Possess exemption by the Internal Revenue Service under section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) of the tax code;
- Have a current, satisfactory audit conducted by a certified public accountant (preferred); and,
- Have a long-standing reputation for credibility and integrity.
It is the Company's policy to decline requests to benefit:
- Organizations without the IRS 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) status;
- Organizations outside of the CareFirst service area;
- Profit-making organizations;
- Individuals who request contributions for personal activities (e.g. little leagues, beauty pageants, fundraising challenges);
- Building funds or capital campaigns;
- Direct scholarships for individuals;
- Political causes or campaigns;
- Organizations that exist primarily to influence legislators or intervene in political campaigns;
- The national office of an organization without a local chapter;
- Schools, PTA organizations, or sports teams;
- Fraternities and sororities;
- Service clubs (e.g., Kiwanis, Lodges, etc.);
- Religious organizations when denominational or sectarian; or,
- Any institution or organization that discriminates by sex, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, creed or ethnic origin.
To enable us to better evaluate the many applications for assistance that are submitted, we now review applications and make grant decisions during multiple grant review cycles. Please allow up to 16 weeks for your application to be reviewed.
- The next open grant cycle deadline is 11:59 p.m. Sept. 9, 2019.
Please follow these guidelines when submitting a grant application:
- Confirm that your request is consistent with funding priorities and requirements.
- All applications must be submitted online via the Grant Application.
- Grant requests of $75,000 or more require a work plan. Please complete the CareFirst Work Plan and Guidance Template and include it as an attachment with your online application.
- Applications can be saved and completed at a later date by accessing the Resume Application link.
- Once you've completed the application, click the Submit button. You will receive an electronic acknowledgement of our receipt.
Note: We recognize that there are many worthwhile charitable organizations doing outstanding work throughout our service area. We will support as many charitable organizations—consistent with our giving guidelines—as our funding allows.